Monday, November 7, 2011

Joe Flacco rallies Ravens past Steelers 23-20

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh's chin took a beating in the aftermath of his team's dramatic 23-20 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday night.

He can live with the beauty mark if his resilient team keeps finding ways to beat its arch rival.

Joe Flacco hit Torrey Smith for a 26-yard touchdown with 8 seconds remaining, starting off a giddy celebration in which Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome — a Hall of Fame tight end — dropped his head coach. "He's supposed to hold you up and keep you up when you jump into his arms," Harbaugh said. Thankfully for the Ravens, Smith has better hands.

Baltimore (6-2) ended Pittsburgh's four-game winning streak behind a brilliant final drive by Flacco, who led the Ravens 92 yards in 13 plays to move Baltimore into a tie with Cincinnati atop the crowded AFC North.

"This Steelers-Ravens game is a game for men," Harbaugh said. "This is a game for big men. You've got to shine bright in this game if you want to win this game. And nobody shined brighter than Joe Flacco in this game."

Not even Smith, who made up for a pair of earlier gaffes with the biggest reception of his young career.

The rookie was flagged for a penalty on Baltimore's first play, wiping out a 76-yard touchdown run by Ray Rice. Five plays before the game-winner, he dropped a pass in the end zone.

Yet Flacco went right back to Smith, who got behind William Gay and shook off a pass interference penalty to give the Ravens their first season sweep of the Steelers since 2006.

"I have to go to Torrey and I hope he makes the play," said Flacco, who finished with 300 yards passing. "He's a playmaker and when you need to make a big play down the field, he's the best guy for that. On that last drive we went to him a couple times and finally it worked." The Steelers (6-3) appeared to be in control after rallying from a 10-point deficit to take a 20-16 lead with less than 5 minutes to go when Ben Roethlisberger hit Mike Wallace for a 25-yard score.

Pittsburgh's defense held once and the Steelers moved in range for Shaun Suisham to attempt a 47-yard field goal that could have bumped the lead to seven. A delay of game penalty, however, pushed Pittsburgh back five yards and the Steelers opted to punt.

"I accept responsibility for that," coach Mike Tomlin said. "There was some hesitation on my part."


Post a Comment